Background: Nova Scotia enacted an Accessibility Act in 2017 to ensure that all persons with disabilities have equitable access to what they need and participate fully in society. As part of the process of removing and preventing barriers, all public sector bodies, which includes municipalities, are working towards local Accessibility Plans. Region of Queens Municipality hired an Accessibility Coordinator in July 2020, appointed an Accessibility Advisory Committee in November, 2020 and presented their plan in April 2021.
Accessibility Advisory Committee: This Committee supports the Accessibility Coordinator and guides Municipal Council, increasing awareness about the barriers faced by persons with various abilities and improving accessibility in municipal buildings and services. Five residents and two councillors make up the committee (currently Councillor Vicki Amirault, Chair; Deupty Mayor Jack Fancy; Wayne Huskins; Kelly Oxner; Tyler Roy; Shelly Neilson and Mackenzie Colp) but applications are welcome for future vacancies. Click here for an Accessibility Advisory Committee application form and click here to read the Accessibility Advisory Committee's Terms of Reference .
Queens Municipal Accessibility Plan: Following nearly a year of community consultation, research of best practices, and review of buildings, communications and services, the Queens Municipal Accessibility Plan (QMAP) was developed by Queens Accessibility Advisory Committee and Region of Queens Accessibility Coordinator. Find it at Queens Municipal Accessbility Plan 2021. Alternate formats are available.
NEWS: Region of Queens Municipality was presented with the Mel Hebb Hourglass Community Action Award
Click here to read about the award, which recognizes the Municipality's work towards a more accessible and inclusive community.
June 15, 2023
Adaptable Housing Brochure
In September, 2019, the Province of Nova Scotia brought 'Adaptable Housing' into the Building Code to address the need for affordable future accessibility modifications. There are standards for NEW housing plans to allow for ease in adding accessible features when a future occupant requires them.
Click here to learn more in our Adaptable Housing brochure.
April 7, 2022
Listen to the Accessibility Coordinator’s 15-minute interview for Queens Community Health Board. Elise describes the range of disabilities that people face, presents a few areas where improvements will be made and outlines the process and general approach being taken by the Region.
Accessibility in Business presentation
Accessibility Advisory Committee Minutes are available below by date of meeting:
- AAC Minutes Oct 14 2021 | Size: 206.7 KB
- 2021-09-09 Accessibility Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes | Size: 206.33 KB
- 2021-06-10 Accessibility Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes | Size: 202.38 KB
- 2021-05-13 Accessibility Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes | Size: 204.42 KB
- 2021-04-08 Accessibility Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes | Size: 212.11 KB
- 2021-03-04 Accessibility Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes | Size: 230.75 KB
- 2021-02-04 Accessibility Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes.pdf | Size: 263.43 KB
- 2021-01-07 Accessibility Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes | Size: 237.49 KB
- 2020-11-19 Accessibility Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes | Size: 243.69 KB