This island is named after Peleg Coffin, a New England Planter. The lighthouse that stands there now is the third of a long line of beacons, after the 1811 lighthouse burned to the ground in 1913 and the 1914 structure fell victim to an eroding shoreline.

A lobster canning factory operated on the island in the early 1900’s. The shacks that remain on Coffin Island are mostly used by fisherman to store their traps and gear.

Coffin Island is in Liverpool Bay and is only accessible via watercraft.

GPS (approx): 44.034249, -64.628942