KidSport is a national children's program that helps children overcome the financial barriers preventing or limiting their participation in organized sport.
The KidSport program believes that no child should be left on the sidelines and all should be given the opportunity to experience the positive benefits of organized sports. KidSport provides support to children in order to remove financial barriers that prevent them from playing organized sport.
KidSport Nova Scotia provides funding of up to $300/year/child for sport registration and/or equipment.
- Funding is granted for registration fees and equipment costs only.
- Total funding will not exceed $300. Funding for equipment only will not exceed $200.
- A child can only receive one grant in a calendar year.
- Preference is given to athletes who are being introduced into organized sport for the first time.
- Cheques for registration funding will be made payable to a league, association or club. Cheques/vouchers for equipment will be made payable to a sporting goods retailer. (Note: KidSport reserves the right to request proof of purchase.)
The Application Process
- Sport organizations must be a member of Sport Nova Scotia. To view members, visit www.sportnovascotia.ca.
- Approval is based on Statistics Canada's Low Income Cut-offs.
- Applications are accepted six times per calendar year; deadlines are January 1st, March 1st, May 1st, July 1st, September 1st, and November 1st.
- Application form(s) will not be approved until all information is received.
- Proof of total family income must accompany application form. You must include A or B:
- Proof of total family income (for tax return or notice of assessment call 1-800-959-8281); or
- Authorization from the Department of Community Services or community services agency (for office locations visit www.gov.ns.ca/com ).