logo-faded

Region of Queens Municipality

Nova Scotia, Canada

Header ALL Visit

Experiences Overview Above Content-01

This community was originally known as Flat Rocks. The first mention of the name Summerville is in 1877, when they built a school and named it Summerville School. The white sand beach found here provided settlers with seaweed they used to keep the soil enriched with nutrients. At the turn of the century, a railroad was built through here from Halifax. Today, Summerville Beach Provincial Park is enjoyed by many.

Summerville Centre is just off Highway 103 via exit 20, or about 15 minutes west of Liverpool on Highway 3.

GPS: 43.954580, -64.814830

 

William Burke, the first white settler in North Queens, arrived here with his wife and children in 1799. He built their log cabin south of the Medway River.

At one time, South Brookfield was considered the industrial centre of North Queens, but in June 1864, a rapidly spreading fire took out all industries and many homes. Brookfield never recovered from this disaster and the centre of commerce for the northern district moved to Caledonia. In 1929, a firm from Quebec came to South Brookfield and built one of the largest bucket and box factories in Canada. In June of 1944, the factory was destroyed by fire and the owner decided not to rebuild and returned to Quebec.

South Brookfield is on Highway 8 about 10 minutes south of Caledonia.

GPS (approx): 44.372597, -64.973273

 

The Mi'kmaq had originally named this area "Wologumk" which means "deep gully or hole in the river." During the visit of Pierre Dugua, Sieur de Mons in 1604 it was renamed Port Mouton after a sheep was lost overboard. Dugua and his crew settled here and made this area his party's base for exploration of the coast. Scottish settlers, sent out by Sir William Alexander in 1623, renamed the area St. Luke's Bay. Over 150 years later, land was granted to Donald McPherson and 102 others, mostly disbanded soldiers who had served under Sir Guy Carleton during the Revolutionary War. They formed a new township and named it Guysborough in Carleton's honour. In its second year, a fire swept through the township and burned down all but two houses. Instead of rebuilding, the settlers chose to pack up what little they had left and moved to Cape Canso.

The wharf located in Southwest Port Mouton overlooks the bay and its many islands. The largest island, Port Mouton Island, was granted to John Doggett in 1763.

Port Mouton is on Highway 103, about 15 minutes west of Liverpool.

GPS (approx): 43.927634, -64.848433

 

The French originally named this area Port Moltare. The fishermen who later settled here in 1760 helped to develop this area into a thriving shipping community. Cargoes of salted and dried fish were shipped to the United States, Caribbean and South America. Lumber from the sawmills of Greenfield, Charleston and Mill Village were loaded on ships and sailed to foreign ports.

Today, Port Medway has many attractions including the picturesque Medway Head Lighthouse near Long Cove and is the birthplace of country music artist Carroll Baker.

Port Medway is off exit 17a on Highway 103.

GPS: 44.129677, -64.574804

 

Port L'Hebert is on the border of Shelburne and Queens Counties. Originally called "Apsiboogwechk" by the Mi'kmaq, this area was later named "Port a l'Ours" or "Port aux Ours" by the French for the apparent abundance of bears in the area at the time.

In the 18th century, New England fisherman frequented the area and in 1785, thirty eight Loyalist families settled here.

Port L'Hebert is on Highway 103 about 35 minutes west of Liverpool.

GPS (approx): 43.880031, -64.918599

 

Port Joli served as a summer encampment area for the Mi'kmaq people. Later on in its history in the 18th century, a Loyalist regiment was granted this area.

Formerly a prosperous fishing harbour, Port Joli now is home to three unique nature parks, Kejimkujik National Park Seaside, Port Joli Federal Migratory Bird Sanctuary and Thomas H. Raddall Provincial Park. Thomas Raddall Park was recently the focus of archaeological digs which unearthed exciting evidence of the Mi'kmaq settlements.

Port Joli is off Highway 103, Exit 22 about 20 minutes west of Liverpool.

GPS: 43.877758, -64.899373

 

James Daly was the first settler in North Brookfield in 1800. Daly's son was the first child born in North Queens. North Brookfield's Baptist Cemetery is also the resting place of the poet John MacPherson, well known for his tome "Acadia."

North Brookfield was also once a rich gold-mining area after a farmer's discovery of the metal in 1887.

North Brookfield is on Highway 208, about 10 minutes south of Caledonia.

GPS: 44.396275, -64.956987

 

Originally known as "The Falls", this community is situated on both sides of the Mersey River just minutes from Liverpool. The present bridge near the falls replaced the early 19th century structure that was destroyed by a tidal wave that raced into Liverpool Harbour and up the Mersey River. Later, a second bridge on Potanoc was added.

In the first quarter of the 20th century, Milton was the site of the earliest mills in Nova Scotia set up to make paper solely from groundwood. The milling of wood, however, dates back to 1762. The mill manufactured a heavy paper used for sheathing and cardboard. The last operator of these mills was the McLeod Pulp and Paper Company. Milton also was home to the first railway in the county, built to transport pulp and paper to the Liverpool wharves for shipping.

Milton is on Highway 8 about 3 minutes north from Liverpool.

GPS (Falls Bridge): 44.060391, -64.753364

 

Mill Village was in the heart of an area rife with grist and saw mills that peppered the Medway River. Trees from this area made their way into tall masts for the Royal Navy, travelling the world far from their humble forests.

Mill Village can be reached from exit 17a on Highway 103 about 20 minutes east of Liverpool.

GPS: 44.145354, -64.648790

 

Zenas Waterman and James Morton were the first to come to Middlefield after they were granted a sum of money to build an inn, known as 12-Mile House. During the 1880's and 90's, the Inn served as a halfway house for those travelling between Caledonia and Liverpool.

Middlefield is on Highway 8, about halfway between Liverpool and Caledonia.

GPS: 44.208869, -64.864537

 

Liverpool has a long and varied history. Long before Samuel de Champlain came near these shores, this area was a Mi'kmaq seasonal meeting place. Named for a time "Port du Rossignol", Liverpool was given its current name after the expulsion of the Acadians and the arrival of the New England Planters.

Initially sympathetic to the American Revolution, residents eventually rebelled against the rebellion – in some cases it is said against their own family – when American privateers repeatedly attacked local shipping, and even the town itself.

During the remainder of the Revolution and through the Napoleonic Wars and the War of 1812, Liverpool Privateer vessels preyed on enemy vessels in the West Indies and the North Atlantic.

An important harbour for timber export, ship building and fishing, Liverpool enjoyed a comfortable existence until the mid-19th Century. The new star of the ship building world, steel, ruined the area's wooden ship industry and the collapse of the Bank of Liverpool further weakened the town.

Prohibition in the United States allowed Liverpool to become a rum running centre in the 1920's and at the end of that decade the Mersey Paper Company (later Bowater Mersey) in Brooklyn marked a new beginning.
Today, in addition to the traditional industries, Liverpool is renowned for its cultural and natural landscape and is the home to international festivals, artists and musicians.

Liverpool, at exit 19 on Highway 103, is the main hub for Queens County for business, finance and government.

GPS (Visitor Centre – approx): 44.039640, -64.717036

 

The community stands on land granted to Samuel Hunt in 1759. Mr. Hunt was an important figure, serving in a myriad of functions including coroner, schoolteacher and Justice of the Peace.

Hunts Point is one of many communities in Queens with a Harbour Authority and is a hive of activity during the lobster season, which in Queens runs from the last Monday in November to May 31st. The first day of lobstering is known as "dumping day", where fisher's families will come out at dawn to the wharves to see the boats off and to celebrate the start of the season.

Hunts Point is on Highway 3, about 10 minutes west of Liverpool.

GPS: 43.953869, -64.770155

 

 

map-and-directions