The summer heat accelerates the decomposition process, which is great for compost, but sometimes not so great for those walking near the carts. Fortunately, with some easy periodic maintenance and a compostable disposal strategy, the air around your green bin can be a lot sweeter.
Here are some tips for the warmer months:
- Purchase paper cart liners that fit in the large green cart. These will help absorb moisture thus reducing odors.
- Place balled up paper or boxboard in the bottom of the cart after every pickup.
- Rinse out your cart after every collection with a mild detergent.
- Tightly wrap wet food waste (meat, fish, fruit & vegetables) in newspaper.
- Alternate layers of kitchen waste with paper or boxboard, evergreen branches or leaves.
- Put your green cart out for collection every collection day, even if it is not full.
- Store the cart in a well ventilated, shady, convenient location.
- Spray vinegar around the vents and lids.
- Do not pour liquids in the cart.
- Sprinkle a small amount of powdered lime in the cart to control odors.
- Check out the page on grasscycling for tips on managing your grass clippings outside the green cart.