The site of the first school, this building housed NF Douglas and Company for 130 years prior to its current incarnation as a pharmacy.
GPS: 44.375090, -65.031542
9849 Main Street, Caledonia, NS
This is the earliest burial ground in Liverpool and is the resting place for many of the town's first proprietors. Established in 1760, this historic spot is a fascinating place. Interpretive panels give visitors a glimpse into the stories behind the stones and those looking for more in-depth histories can check out the archives at the Queens County Museum.
During Privateer Days every summer tours with costumed animators are always a popular attraction.
GPS: 44.038098, -64.716554
Corner of Main and Old Bridge Streets, Liverpool, NS
Two striking murals located on the Mersey waterfront depict important scenes from Liverpool's past. The first mural, "Protectors of Liverpool" pays tribute to the early settlers of the area. The second mural, "History of the Mersey River" is one of the largest murals in Atlantic Canada. Covering nearly 6500 square feet, this larger than life pictorial tells the story of the Mi'kmaq and Queens County forefathers.
GPS (approx): 44.039339, -64.716318
Liverpool Waterfront, NS
Found on west Main Street on the banks of the Mersey River, this area was the location of one of the first homes built in Liverpool in 1759 with a frame brought from Plymouth. The house, belonging to Captain Sylvanus Cobb, burned down in the 1940's. The 1933 monument placed by the Queens County Historical Society is all that remains.
GPS: 44.039879, -64.728355
Corner of Main and Wolfe Streets, Liverpool, NS
This late Victorian Queen Anne was built after the great fire of 1895. Home to Dr Smith for over 50 years, this impressive building completed in 1896 also housed his medical office. It currently serves as the law offices of Allen Fownes, who undertook a painstaking restoration of the house in 2005-2009.
GPS: 44.039234, -64.714911
190 Main Street, Liverpool, NS
Bristol Hall is the former home of Sea Captain Stephen DeWolfe. Of mid-victorian Italianate construction, the home featured a mahogany balustrade with 365 hand turned solid wood balusters and 12 fireplaces. This large home originally had 250 feet of water front on the Mersey River.
GPS: 44.043474, -64.719793
87 Bristol Avenue, Liverpool, NS
On October 18, 1904, William Stevens Fielding, the Member of Parliament for Queens and Shelburne, arrived in Liverpool by carriage, having disembarked the train at Brooklyn. Construction of the Liverpool train station began two months later. By the new year, a tri-weekly train service ran between Liverpool and Halifax. Just before Christmas in 1906, the first passenger and freight train went westward to Yarmouth.
In the 1930's the station was moved further back as the original location proved to be too close to the highway. Ox teams pulled the building to the new site, where it was placed upon a basement, making Liverpool the only station in Nova Scotia with that feature.
The station closed on January 23, 1981 but found new life as the Hank Snow Home Town Museum, located a short distance from the singer's childhood home. As a young boy, Snow often spent the night in the station which now features exhibits about his life and career, as well of those of other Canadian country stars as well as being the home of the Nova Scotia Country Music Hall of Fame. As a nod to the building's past, there is a railroad history room, with equipment from the original stationmaster's office. Visit www.hanksnow.com for more information on the museum.
GPS: 44.045471, -64.720405
17 Hank Snow Drive, Liverpool, NS
The Tavern was constructed from timber largely cut on the spot and the huge squared stones of the foundation may have come from the ruins of the Fortress Louisbourg. The first floor has two rooms, the "keeping room" where common people gathered for their drinks and a dining room. It is not clear, but there may have been a partition between the two that would have folded back for dances or large gatherings.
The second floor had two bed chambers, called "boarding rooms" and they contained rows of bunks. Taverns during this time were usually private homes that were open to the public, with the owners licensed to provided liquor, food, and lodging. Taverns also served as auction rooms, assembly rooms, banqueting halls and general centres of entertainment.
Those looking for a ghost story need look no further. It is said that this 1763 Tavern is haunted by a benevolent spirit dressed in uniform that spends his time walking back and forth on the floor of the master bedroom. Although friendly, he can be mischievous, moving objects about and opening locked doors.
GPS: 44.043022, -64.708861
5 Riverside Drive, Liverpool, NS
The oldest standing church in Liverpool, this building was constructed in 1821 and 1822. The cemetery contains several old tombstones and the Seely vault, the only vault of its kind in Liverpool and perhaps the County. Captain Caleb Seely (1787-1869) and eight family members are buried in the vault which is located close to the church. Captain Seely was a well known privateersman who bought Simeon Perkins' house after Perkins died.
GPS: 44.036837, -64.714794
198 Church Street, Liverpool, NS
These two homes were constructed in the late 18th century by Benjamin Parker and his son Snow. It is believed that the Parkers connected their homes by a second storey walkway, although no bridge exists today. The exterior of 127 Main was originally identical to that of the Elisha Calkin house at 63 Main Street. Benjamin Parker's daughter Desire was Calkin's first wife.
GPS (123 Main) 44.040196, -64.712808
GPS (127 Main) 44.040081, -64.713025
123 and 127 Main Street, Liverpool, NS
Dr Henry S Farish (1834-1914) was the one of the early medical men in Queens and a beloved benefactor of Liverpool. He was the first doctor to have performed surgery using anaesthesia in this part of Nova Scotia and was also the first person to represent the County politically after Confederation in 1867. Dr Farish, who was born in Gibraltar and came to Liverpool from Yarmouth in 1858, was also an historian of note. His book, Reminisces of Liverpool, describes the town's early geography, dwellings and inhabitants. Dr Farish moved into this home in 1866. In a style usually reserved for churches, the building has elaborate trim under the eaves as well as other ornamentations. The door panels are the shape of lancet windows and the panes of coloured patterned glass in the sidelights and transom have managed to escape damage over the years.
144 Main Street, Liverpool, NS
The Gorham House was the home of one of Liverpool's benefactors James and his wife Jedidah Gorham. Originally located on the site of the Town Hall Arts & Cultural Centre, this house was moved in 1900 to this location by horse and oxen.
GPS: 44.038672, -64.713063
46 Court Street, Liverpool, NS