Grasscycling is the process of recycling grass clippings by leaving them on your lawn. Every time grass clippings are thrown away your soil loses some of the nutrients required to make it fertile and to promote a healthy lawn. Grass clippings are a free, high-nitrogen fertilizer because once they decompose they release nutrients back into the lawn. Clippings also hold the moisture in your lawn reducing the need for watering.
Tips for Grasscycling
- Maintain a grass height of 2 to 3 inches to help insulate the lawn against heat.
- Mow only dry grass.
- Mow the lawn every 4 to 5 days during peak growth periods.
- Cut no more than an inch in height when mowing.
- Make sure the mower blade is sharp.
- Still don't want to leave your grass clippings on the lawn? Put them in your gardens, tree or shrub beds for added fertilizer. If you need to, place dry grass clippings in your green cart.
The summer heat accelerates the decomposition process, which is great for compost, but sometimes not so great for those walking near the carts. Fortunately, with some easy periodic maintenance and a compostable disposal strategy, the air around your green bin can be a lot sweeter.
Here are some tips for the warmer months:
- Purchase paper cart liners that fit in the large green cart. These will help absorb moisture thus reducing odors.
- Place balled up paper or boxboard in the bottom of the cart after every pickup.
- Rinse out your cart after every collection with a mild detergent.
- Tightly wrap wet food waste (meat, fish, fruit & vegetables) in newspaper.
- Alternate layers of kitchen waste with paper or boxboard, evergreen branches or leaves.
- Put your green cart out for collection every collection day, even if it is not full.
- Store the cart in a well ventilated, shady, convenient location.
- Spray vinegar around the vents and lids.
- Do not pour liquids in the cart.
- Sprinkle a small amount of powdered lime in the cart to control odors.
- Check out the page on grasscycling for tips on managing your grass clippings outside the green cart.