logo-faded

Region of Queens Municipality

Nova Scotia, Canada

Header ALL Residents Council

Image Council Press Realses Building

July 10, 2018; Liverpool, NS: Homes and public facilities in Liverpool, NS date back centuries, and at the July 10, 2018 Region of Queens Municipality’s Council meeting, motions were approved to preserve and recognize two buildings for their historic significance in the community.


The Heritage Advisory Committee of the Region of Queens Municipality met on June 14, 2018 to discuss the requests for Heritage designations. The owners of the property located at 547 Main Street, Liverpool, NS submitted an application to have their property designated under the municipal register of heritage properties. The dwelling was constructed between 1760 and 1762 on land that was part of the original Town plot, and granted to Captain John West. It is known locally as the John and Phebe West House (West’s Tavern), and the portion of the house containing the original Gambrel-roofed construction is thought to be one of the oldest structures in Liverpool. The architectural style of Gambrel-roofed homes is rare, and the home is among approximately seven in Nova Scotia. The property received provincial heritage designation in 2012. Council served Notice of Recommendation upon the owners of 547 Main Street, Liverpool, and on August 14, 2018 at 9 a.m. in Council Chamber, 249 White Point Road, Liverpool, NS, will sit to hear any comments and/or concerns from the owners regarding the registration.


A letter of request was received from the Queens County Museum requesting that the Region of Queens Municipality, as owners of the building, consider making application to have the Liverpool Court House designated as a Place of National Historic Significance. Council approved a motion in support of this recommendation, and requested staff begin the application, which once submitted, may take up to two years to process by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. The Court House was recognized for its historical significance with a provincial heritage designation in 2001. The Court House was built in 1854 by George W. Boehner and was designed by William G. Hammond; it is considered an excellent example of Greek Revival temple style architecture. The Court House has been home to the Queens Museum of Justice since 2017.
Both properties are recognized for their historical significance through listings on Canada’s Historic Places website, which is a Federal, Provincial and Territorial collaboration, featuring historic buildings across the country.